Oven roasted tomatoes are a delicious replacement for traditional pizza sauce on pizza. The taste is between fresh tomatoes and the sweetness of a cooked sauce but eliminates the extra moisture associated with fresh tomatoes and the heavy taste of a sauce. The slices can be seasoned when baking with herbs and spices and a drizzle of olive oil gives a creamy texture. The whole process only taking about 40 minutes it is much quicker than trying to make a sauce from fresh tomatoes.
- 3 Roma/Plum Tomatoes
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C)
- Cut sheet of parchment paper to fit baking pan and place on baking pan.
- Slice tomatoes into consistent thickness slice; about a quarter inch thick (7mm).
- Place tomato slices as close as possible to each other starting in the center of the pan on top of the parchment paper. The parchment paper is important as it allows the tomatoes once cooked to be easily removed as a solid slice.
- Sprinkle tomatoes evenly with salt, pepper and oregano.
- Drizzle olive oil evenly over tomatoes.
- Bake on middle rack for approximately 30 minutes at 375°F (190°C).